I know, I know, SEO can get over everybody’s heads. The truth is, as soon as you launch a site, the first thing you should do is hire an SEO specialist – you can easily do this through Upwork to save money. Whether your specialist knows it or not, these are the 5 SEO tips you should implement for better performance in 2017.
5 SEO Tips for Better Performance in 2017
1. Make it mobile friendly
Google makes changes to its algorithm constantly – it annoys the heck out of just about anyone who cares about their rankings. In 2017, mobile websites will be extremely important, even more so than desktop. Makes sense, right? We’ll be adapting to new technology and soon, desktops will be a thing of the future. Google’s just one step ahead.
So make sure your website is mobile friendly. You can easily check this with your WordPress preview!
2. Optimize the speed of your website
Website speed is actually an important factor in Google rankings. Fast loading times also improve conversions and lowers your bounce rate – and the less people you annoy with your slow website, the more likely they’ll want to stay on it for longer.
Here’s how you can optimize your website’s speed for 2017:
- Minimize image sizes (you can easily do this with any WordPress resizer plugin)
- Check out Google’s PageSpeed Insights
- Use Gzip to compress pages with large amounts of data
- Deactivate unnecessary plugins (you’d be surprised how much slower can your site get with a lot of plugins)
3. Name and tag your images!
How many of you just upload an image and leave it as is? Did you know that using the alt tags and descriptions can actually benefit your overall site ranking and bring you traffic from Google Images? Here’s what you should do:
- Rename your photo before uploading (change ajdsifjaf.jpg to actual photo content)
- Change your ALT and title tags and describe the image in as much detail as possible
4. Take advantage of Google Analytics
You can use Google Analytics to create new content for your audience!
The three most important analytics (for beginners):
- Audience -> Overview
- Aquisition -> Channels
- Behaviour -> Site Content
You can find out exactly who your audience is, how old they are, their interests and if they’re coming from an organic search (Google) or social media. This will give you an idea of what they’re interested in.
5. Always do keyword research
Following from the tip number 4, you can then do a simple keyword research using the Google search bar and Google Keyword Planner to find out what are the popular topics within that keyword. Adjust the topic to your own niche and use the discovered keyword to create new and fresh content.
Don’t think too much about the keyword research – Google values quality content and as long as it’s useful to your readers and regularly updated, it will rank!
Don’t forget: It takes up to 12 months to create SEO impact – always pay attention to new Google algorithms and update your website accordingly.