2017 is just around the corner and I hope you’ve been making some new years resolutions. You haven’t? Don’t give up on your new year resolutions, especially when you own a small business. Let them be the fuel for your success! Here’s how to set kickass 2017 small business goals and MAKE THINGS HAPPEN!
1. Invest in your productivity
Write down any habits you might have that are slowing you down. Wishing you’d have 1 more hour in the day? Work on waking up an hour earlier and make that our majestically productive. Get yourself agendas, power planners, task managers, anything you know that will help you with productivity. Make it happen!
Productivity websites and apps for some inspiration:
- Trello – task manager used by some of the biggest companies in the world
- Foucswriter – for distraction-free writing
- Productive app – perfect ‘don’t break the chain’ to-do list with reminders to track your daily habits
- Calm – best free meditation app on the market – because sometimes you just need to take some time off.
- Mint – track your spending habits and learn how to save and manage your money
- Reddit’s Get Disciplined subreddit – just don’t get too caught up in reading and not working 🙂
2. Set SMART goals
Most people stop with their new year resolutions by the third month of the year. Don’t let yourself be one of them in 2017 – set SMART goals.
What are SMART goals?
- Specific – what do you want to achieve? Set a clear definition!
- Measurable – make sure you have clear targets and milestones for your goals.
- Attainable – can you really manage your goals?
- Relevant – are they relevant to your business?
- Time-Based – how long do you need to reach your goal?
Once you have all these defined, it’s time to get to work!
3. Throw FEAR out of the window
Ask yourself: what would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail?
It’s a chilling question, right? We’re so caught up in fearing failure, we never take full advantage of our lives. Kickstart your small business goals with one of my favorite quotes by Les Brown:
“The graveyard is the richest place on earth, because it is here that you will find all the hopes and dreams that were never fulfilled, the books that were never written, the songs that were never sung, the inventions that were never shared, the cures that were never discovered, all because someone was too afraid to take that first step, keep with the problem, or determined to carry our their dream.”
4. Don’t do it alone
One can be a lonely number – don’t do it all alone, there’s no fun in that. Work with a team, with your accountability buddy or just set up a support system that will get you back on the right tracks. Most people fail when they realize the encouragement won’t come until they succeed. There’s nothing wrong with letting some people in on your goals and ask them for encouragement.
5. Constant stream of inspiration
Once you fall into your habit routine, it’s extremely easy to get uninspired by repetitive work. Don’t let that kill your productivity and go back to square zero.
Inspiring speeches are my favorite way to remind myself that things don’t come easy and even a small step is STILL a step in the right direction. Take some time from your week and make sure you watch something inspirational, whether it is a movie or just a popular motivational Youtube video.
Here are some of my favorite speeches that keep me going: